Paulo Fidalgo is a distinguished software engineer holding a Master's degree in Computer Science, proficient in Ruby, Rails, and distributed systems. With over 15 years of experience in the software industry, more than a decade of which was spent working remotely, Paulo has a proven track record of success. He began his career in the Telco market, contributing to the development of backend systems for SMS-Centres and real-time communications (audio, video, and text). Subsequently, Paulo transitioned to the startup scene, leading a team in Big Data and Natural Language Processing, designing call routing systems to provide integrated customer support and enabling wealth managers to unlock the full potential of Research Reports, Events, and Forecast Models. Paulo's latest venture as a founding engineer of an event tech company saw him facing the technical challenges of hyper-growth, explosive customer demand and scalability issues, further sharpening his skills and expertise.
Founding Software Engineer (remote)
Joined Hopin, a rapidly expanding European company dedicated to developing an all-inclusive platform for virtual, hybrid, and onsite events, as the 6th employee. Contributed significantly to the company's growth by driving various initiatives, including API development, billing, scaling, and stress testing.
- Drove initiatives in API development, billing, scaling, and stress testing.
- Helped define recruiting, mentoring, and onboarding processes, contributing to over 300 successful hires.
- Led and contributed to the development and design of an optimized API for real-time online events.
- Spearheaded projects to secure user data with OAuth2 and OpenID Connect.
- Played a pivotal role in data safety, compliance, and cost optimization, reducing cloud and provider expenses by 74%, from 4.6M to 1.2M.
- Won the best pitch award, at an internal AI Hackathon, for a project around sentiment analysis and Natural Language Processing for events and communities.
Software Engineering Lead (remote)
At Visible Alpha, a company transforming investment research with innovative software solutions, I led the development of a cutting-edge research processing and indexing system. I also played a key role in splitting the platform and developing robust APIs for seamless data access.
- Led the development of a research processing and indexing system that extracts, enriches, and stores information from research reports.
- Played a key role in splitting our platform by extracting the research and event processing functionality, creating clear lines of responsibility and developing robust APIs for seamless data access.
- Implemented development techniques such as clean code, test-driven development (TDD), infrastructure as code, and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) to deliver high-quality solutions with fewer defects.
- Google PubSub
Software Engineering Lead (remote)
As the lead engineer for Talkdesk's call-routing system, a leading provider of cloud-based contact center software, I assumed ownership of the core system and architected a new generation solution that elevated the platform's performance, scalability, and flexibility.
- Assumed ownership of the core system and architected a new generation solution that improved the platform's performance, scalability, and flexibility.
- Optimized Talkdesk's legacy call-routing system, enhancing its functionality and performance while maintaining code readability and adding new features.
- Developed a new-generation solution that phased out the legacy system while providing customers with greater flexibility and customization.
Lead Software Engineer (remote)
At Novertur International SA, I led the development of the Business Matchmaking reports, leveraging Hadoop running in Amazon EMR to compute scores for a company's allies, distributors, competitors, and suppliers in a foreign country.
- Led the development of the Business Matchmaking reports, leveraging Hadoop running in Amazon EMR to compute scores for a company's allies, distributors, competitors, and suppliers in a foreign country.
- Developed a web application that allows for the ordering and visualization of reports and company information.
- Ruby on Rails
- Amazon EMR
- Stanford CoreNLP
- Elastic search
At WIT Software, a company transforming telecommunication networks through innovative SIP application solutions, I led the development and maintenance of a Push Notifications Gateway using technologies such as Google Cloud Message, Apple Push Notifications, and binary SMS.
- Led the development and maintenance of a Push Notifications Gateway using technologies such as Google Cloud Message, Apple Push Notifications, and binary SMS.
- Developed an Auto-Configuration Server that allowed seamless sending of mobile application settings.
- Oversaw the maintenance and evolution of a SIP Application Server, as well as audio and video session transcoding in real-time.
- Spring Framework
- Intel IPP
- Twitter Bootstrap
Co-founder and partner
Co-founded Beyond Sight, Lda, a sole trading company, and expanded it into a thriving business amidst the challenging financial crisis of 2008. Diversified our offerings by expanding our business with a women's clothes shop just a year after our inception.
- Expanded our business with a women's clothes shop just a year after our inception.
- Provided support in order management, legal matters, finances, and contracts with partners and suppliers.
- Successfully transitioned our company to a limited company structure in 2014.
Worked at Ubiwhere, as part of a collaboration with Altice Innovation, a leading player in the telecommunications industry.
- Spearheaded the specification, implementation, and maintenance of several message processing modules (SMS, MMS and WAP Push) that provided a range of value-added services to telecommunications operators. These services included mass sending, CRM integration, and seamless integration with external systems such as bank operations, email, and web services.
- HP Quality Center
Lead Software Engineer
As a lead developer and project manager at Wlink, a company specializing in web and multimedia content solutions, I played a pivotal role in driving the success of several projects.
- Led the development of several web and multimedia content projects, ensuring effective resource allocation and high-quality solutions.
- Developed a communication module using an RS232 serial port with a custom-made GSM modem switch, facilitating seamless communication between our clients and their target audiences.
- Ruby on Rails
As an intern at Mentes Virtuais, a company focused on creating innovative communication services for small businesses and enrol in ambitious projects with a big telecom provider, I spearheaded the development of a web application for managing and administering a new-generation communication service.
- Spearheaded the development of a web application for managing and administering a new-generation communication service, providing fixed-mobile convergence in an IMS context.
- Performed analysis and requirements gathering for an ENUM server, resulting in the development of a proof-of-concept using a database-backed nameserver adapted for ENUM context.
- Developed a value-added SMS and Wap Push service by integrating the SMS-Centre through a web application, allowing for easy campaign creation and management.
- Ruby on Rails
At Saphety, a company known for its work in secure business processes, I developed a data synchronization project as part of a collaborative program between the university and private companies. This project allowed seamless transfer of user information between an LDAP directory and a relational database (MySQL).
- Developed a data synchronization project allowing seamless transfer of user information between an LDAP directory and a relational database (MySQL).
- Designed and implemented a periodic synchronization process, ensuring timely updates and accuracy of data transfer between the two heterogeneous systems.
Skills & Tools
Ruby on Rails
- Code Review
- Unit Testing
Master's Degree in Software EngineeringUniversidade de Évora2008
Graduation in Software EngineeringUniversidade de Évora2006
- Portuguese (Native)
- English (Professional)
- Spanish (Basic)
- Opensource software
- Exploring international cuisine and wine pairing
- History & Science